- What is ILLiad?
- How long will it take for my materials to arrive?
- I am a distance patron. How do I get materials sent to me?
- Can I use the ILL or Document Delivery services if I am outside of the United States?
- Why do I need a username and password to use ILLiad?
- What if I forget my password?
- Who is eligible to submit ILL requests?
- Is security a problem if I use a public workstation?
- Why don't I see all my older requests when I look at my request history?
- How much does it cost to use ILL?
- Who do I contact if I have problems with or questions about ILLiad?
- Why does my browser say that you're sending a cookie? What's in it?
What is ILLiad?
ILLiad is the electronic system you use to request an item through Interlibrary Loan. The name ILLiad can be thought of as an acronym for InterLibrary Loan internet accessible database. Since ILLiad is NOT connected to your circulation record, you are responsible for updating your personal information.
How long will it take for my materials to arrive?
- Articles usually take between 3-5 business days. Once the article arrives, you will receive notification. All articles are delivered electronically in PDF format and you will have 30 days to view.
- Books can take anywhere from 2-4 weeks to arrive. Once the book arrives, you will receive notification. For on-campus patrons, you will pick up the book at the Library West circulation desk. For distance patrons, the book will be mailed to you via UPS. Normally there is a 1 time renewal for books, however, the lending library may not permit renewals. Information regarding renewals is found on the book band.
I am a distance patron. How do I get materials sent to me?
You can request electronic articles and hard-copy books using your ILLiad account. You can request both UF owned materials and materials not owned by UF. Electronic articles - that are not already available online - will be delivered to your ILLiad account and you will be notified via email when they are ready to view. Hard-copy books will be shipped via UPS to the address you provide in your ILLiad account (e.g. home, IFAS center, etc.). You will receive a shipment notification email when each book is shipped. If you are not an IFAS or REC center distance patron, we encourage you to return your books using a track-able shipping method such as UPS, FedEx, or DHL. We also provide one courtesy UPS return shipping label with each package. If you are an IFAS or REC center distance patron, please use your departmental mail services going to UF to return books. You are responsible for the book(s) you receive until they are physically checked in at our office, thus the encouragement to use track-able shipping when appropriate.
For more information, please see the Distance Patron FAQs. These FAQs explain further how to renew your items, provide more return shipment instructions, and provide other helpful information just for Distance Patrons.
Can I use the ILL or Document Delivery services if I am outside of the United States?
As of June 1 st, 2009, the interlibrary loan and document delivery unit will only ship items outside of the United States to return items we have borrowed from international libraries. We will not loan physical items from the University of Florida libraries to international borrowers. If you are a currently enrolled student studying abroad, we can supply you with electronic copies of journal articles. Faculty anticipating temporary travel abroad should contact the interlibrary loan office (352-273-2535) to discuss individual options.
Why do I need a username and password to use ILLiad?
Your username and password allows us to give you secure access to information about your interlibrary loan requests. You will be able to edit your personal information such as your address or phone number.
Your username is your UF-ID, which is located on your GatorID. Your password also can be anything you like. We recommend that you follow good security practice and choose a password that is different from those you use to access other systems. However, no one but you will know your password, not even the library staff. The password you set is stored in an encrypted file.
What if I forget my password?
In the event that you forget your password, you may reset your own password. You will be sent the new password to the e-mail account that you have on file in ILLiad. Another option is to contact the Interlibrary Loan Office at (352) 273-2535 or send an e-mail and be sure to include your UF-ID. We can then reset your password allowing you access to ILLiad. Please change your password once you logon to ILLiad.
Who is eligible to submit ILL requests?
Any faculty, emeritis faculty, staff and students who are in current status on the main campus, including IFAS & REC centers. The Law and Health Science Center College patrons will need to submit ILL reqeusts through their respective library ILL offices.
Is security a problem if I use a public workstation?
Yes. Web browsers cache information and create a history file on the local workstation. This allows a subsequent user of the workstation to access the system under your name using the browser's Back button to recall a page from the cache, or by finding a page with your personal information in the browser's history file. If you are concerned about the security of your interlibrary loan requests, you can take the following steps:
- Access ILLiad only from your personal computer or an otherwise secure workstation.
- Access ILLiad from a public workstation in the Interlibrary Loan office in the library. These computers are supervised by the library staff.
- When using a public access workstation:
- Delete from the history file those pages that contain your personal information.
- Exit from the Web browser before you leave the workstation. This prevents the Back button from accessing the pages you were using.
Why don't I see all my older requests when I look at my request history?
From time to time we purge older records from ILLiad. Our policy is to keep requests online for several years order to comply with record keeping requirements of the copyright law.
How much does it cost to use ILL?
The George A. Smathers Libraries offers the Interlibrary Loan service at no charge in order to extend the scope of research materials available to our patrons. However, the average cost to the UF Libraries to obtain these materials ranges from a low of $16 to a high of $128. This includes the cost of providing the service, request fees charged to us by other libraries, and copyright royalty fees or shipping costs. If any of these individual fees exceeds $50, we will ask the patron to subsidize the difference or cancel the request. On average, the Libraries spend over $81,000 per year in fees and approximately $100,000 in personnel and other overhead costs to provide this service.
Who do I contact if I have problems with or questions about ILLiad?
Please contact the InterLibrary Loan Office, Monday-Friday 8am-7pm, at (352) 273-2535 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org . You will need to include your UF-ID located on your Gator ID.
Why does my browser say that you're sending a cookie? What's in it?
The technology that we use sends a Session ID to be stored on your machine. You can refuse this cookie and still be able to use ILLiad without any problems.